Sunday, October 17, 2010

Using Personal Learning Networks (PLNs)

Using Personal Learning Networks (PLNs) has been a great benefit to me in my student teaching experience so far. I see the value of it in education, especially for staying current with other teachers in my field as new technology comes out, or to get ideas for a lesson I am planning. I think PLNs are especially resourceful for Business Education teachers, because technology and what we have to teach is constantly changing. There is no way we could keep up with everything that changes day to day, so using a PLN is what can help keep us updated and current with all of the changes that take place so frequently.

Sharing Resources
Using a personal learning network is a great way to share resources with other teachers in your field. So many times I find myself "drawing a blank" when it comes to creating an exciting intro to a lesson or finding a way to make a certain topic "stick" with the students. And when I get those mind blocks, I always go to the PLNs to find resources to help me get back on track and create a great lesson for the students.

Staying Informed & Current
With so many changes in the business ed. curriculum and technology, using a PLN is vital to stay informed on those changes and staying current with technology. I read many blogs in the technology field, and have joined groups in Diigo to stay current with technology. Without using PLNs, it would be much harder to keep up with all of the changes that happen.


Staying Connected
Using a PLN is a great way to stay connected to other teachers all over the country. As we saw when we presented the webinar, there were teachers from all over the country in the webinar. What an easy way to stay connected with other Business Education teachers! Instead of having to fly across the country to share and present ideas and resources, we got to choose where we wanted to be during the webinar, and still were able to share valuable resources and ideas with one another.


The PLNs that I am enjoying the most currently is using Blogger and Diigo. I will continue to use these PLNs and others when I go into the teaching world after student teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment